Saturday 19 May 2012

MySQL

Once again using the useful article in the community section of the Ubuntu website, I will install MySQL. MySQL is database management system based upon SQL. As with all things, if you'd like to know more, check the MySQL Wikipedia page.

The single line command you need is
sudo apt-get install mysql-server libapache2-mod-auth-mysql php5-mysql
These are 3 seperate installs and as far as I can guess (and I am guessing):
mysql-server is the main part of the MySQL program
php5-mysql is a PHP module for MySQL
libapache2-mod-auth-mysql is shown from a quick Google to be "A module for the Apache 2 web server which enables HTTP authentication against information stored in a MySQL database".

The article suggests changing the memory limit, but I am going to leave it as 128 as I can always increase it later. I imagine it must be more efficient to leave it at the lowest level possible other wise surely it would just be set around the systems memory limit.

I am not installing any database administration software like phpMyAdmin yet as using the command line gives you more control and you can understand the behind the scenes workings. This will be a massive pain to begin with but should get easier as my knowledge grows.

One thing I didn't see in the article is that you need to restart Apache.

No comments:

Post a Comment